The Recruit Potential Classroom Course is a set of Open Educational Resources which are designed for Private, Public and NGO Employers, and Advisory Support Providers and Trainers (including VET Colleges). The Resources have been developed to encourage and facilitate a change in employers’ strategies. A change that will result in more inclusive recruitment techniques, where individuals without all the skills traditionally required for a position could be employed. The course goal is that people would be recruited on their potential and then educated by the employer to reach the skills required for the position.
It was written by experts who are passionate about inclusion and highly knowledgeable about inclusive recruitment.
The course seeks to promote the employer’s role in supporting an inclusive labour market through:
- Increasing the competence and knowledge of staff and management who design and implement Human Resource (HR) Policies
- Supporting the development of attitudes and skills in those staff who write job descriptions such that they do not inadvertently discriminate or create unintended barriers
- Identifying and exchanging good practices highlighting “Employers as Educators” who support current staff and potential applicants with different or unconventional skills/experiences to adapt to the needs of the labour market
Our long-term aim is to lower barriers for disadvantaged target groups with low/basic skills, with qualifications that do not fit into pre-defined preferences or who in other ways could be discriminated due to gender, race, age or disability. In other words, the course would like to support a shift where recruitment is based more on an individual’s potential rather than their formal education.
The Classroom Course Resources are designed for various uses. The course can be delivered as a complete curriculum or parts of it might be integrated to supplement other courses. All materials are provided as open source and each section of this course offers a variety of additional online materials such as case studies and activities about the topic.
As some learners might want to learn the content (or just parts of it) individually, all modules and additional learning resources are provided online.
Trainers, Teachers and tutors can also use the course freely. Information about how we suggest the materials can be used are provided at the beginning of each trainer’s guide for each module.
The course can be used in a classroom environment as well as a self-contained distance learning course.
Classroom Course Components
The syllabus of the Recruit Potential course is divided into 6 different units called modules, each of them focusing on different aspects of inclusive recruitment, how it can be applied and its benefits.
Module 1: Introduction to inclusion
Module 2: Strategies to change mentalities
Module 3: Successful induction and development
Module 4: Organising work for inclusion
Module 5: Mentoring as a tool
Module 6: Inclusiveness in the workplace
Each Module has different training resources these will include:
- A PowerPoint/PDF Presentation – again this is to be used in conjunction with the Tutor’s Guide, this is a suggested course and includes the materials and activities. If it is your first time delivering the course, this is a good starting point.
- Trainers Guide- this can assist tutors, teachers or those delivering these modules to their organisation, in order to provide the highest quality training.
- Additional Resources- These will enhance the learning experience and provide extra reading for those wishing to expand on what they learn from each module.
- Learners Workbook– each module has a workbook that compliments each PowerPoint and other resources.
- Quiz- Throughout the modules there will be quizzes to test your knowledge
You can download the course (PowerPoints, Learner Workbooks and a Trainer’s Guide) as a zip file.
You do not need to use the materials in any particular order. If you want to concentrate on a specific topic you can jump in at your point of interest – although using the whole course is suggested for optimal understanding.
Download the Classroom Course
Please click the link below to download the Classroom Course. To access the file simply “Right Click” on the downloaded Zip file and choose “un-zip” or “uncompress” based on your Operating System. This will produce a folder on your computer with all of the necessary files.